An essential mode of transport for many of the early settlers not only of Havelock but those in many isolated locations within the Pelorus Sound. This row boat also has it's sail and mast folded down under the oars. The view looks into the early inadequate port facilities at the bottom of Inglis Street. Nevertheless, 1864 began with people piggy-backed ashore at low tide, progressed to a handful of rickety jetties of sorts and ended with the Marlborough Provincial Council building a jetty at the cost of two hundred and fifty pounds, this was located at the foot of Inglis Street.
Havelock Township From The Harbour
Photographer:William Henry Macey