A view at the top of the reservoir. It was reported in the Marlborough Express on the 25th June 1903 abridged - " Havelock June 24th 1903, Owing to the weather the attendance at the opening of the waterworks by the Hon .C .H. Mills was not so large as anticipated. Mr Mills arrived at eleven and, accompanied by members of the Town Board, proceeded to the reservoir, situated in Takokia Gully, three quarters of a mile from the township, and 230 feet above sea level. Mr Mills and members standing on the dam, the Chairman of the Town Board (Mr .W. Price) stated that the proceedings would then be confined to turning water into the main."