Still located in Waimea Road Nelson - a great view of the College playing fields, the College building and three of the boarding hostels shown on the left - Rutherford, Barnicoat & Fell House.The school opened with eight students on 7 April 1856 in premises in Trafalgar Square, Nelson, but shortly thereafter moved to a site in Manuka Street. In 1861, the school moved again to its current site in Waimea Road. The Deed of Foundation was signed in 1857 and set out the curriculum to be followed by the College. It included English language and literature, one or more modern languages, geography, mathematics, classics, history, drawing, music and such other branches of science as the Council of Governors should determine. The Deed stated that the purpose of the school was the "advancement of religion and morality, and the promotion of useful knowledge, by offering to the youth of the Province general education of a superior character."
Nelson Boy's College
Below you will find the message written on the back of the postcard. In the event we have duplicates of the same postcard, multiple messages may be found below.
Master Larry Stratton
30 Tweed Street Palmerston North
Nelson 4 Feb 1964 at 11.30am
Photographers Card ID: