The Citizens' War Memorial (alternate: Soldiers' War Memorial) in Cathedral Square Christchurch is one of the two major memorials in the city to World War 1. It is located immediately north of Christchurch Cathedral. The annual Anzac Day service is held there. This War Memorial was unveiled on 9 June 1937 by Colonel S C P Nicholls, with Archbishop Jilius conducting the service. The design was to be of peace not war; a cross had to be included, as well as an expression of high ideals. The memorial was designed by the architect George Hart and the Christchurch sculptor William Trethewey(1892–1956). The bronze memorial stands 16 metres (52 ft) in height. An engraving at the base of the memorial states:In grateful remembrance of the sons and daughters of Canterbury who fell in the Great War 1914–1918 Give peace in our time o Lord.
Christchurch The Peace Memorial
Photographers Card ID: