In 1935, the local council decided to locate a new aerodrome at Harewood as the best site for Christchurch. Development of the aerodrome at Harewood commenced in 1936 when 227 hectares of land was purchased. In 1937 a 915-metre runway and a 60 square metre terminal were constructed. In 1940 the airport became RNZAF Station Harewood. By 1946 the form of the terminal area development was established with hangars, a small terminal building, the water tower and some barracks buildings. In 1950 Christchurch Airport received clearance for international operations from the government. The two runways and parallel taxiway concept was established in 1953–;runway 02/20 at 2,012 metres and 11/29 at 1,741m. In 1954 TEAL introduced Douglas DC-6 aircraft to its trans-Tasman services. In February 1960 a new terminal building, designed by architect Paul Pascoe, was brought into operation.
Christchurch Airport (2)
Photographers Card ID: