- 1935 Christchurch City Council chooses the present site at Harewood.
- 1936 227 hectares of land are purchased.
- 1937 A 915 metre runway and 60 square metre terminal are constructed.
- 1940 "Harewood Airport" opens for commercial flying.
- 1948 260 hectares of additional land is purchased.
- 1950 Christchurch Airport becomes New Zealand’s first international airport.
- 1955 United States Antarctic Operations begin in Christchurch.
- 1960 A new 6,000 square metre terminal opens.
- 1962 The main runway is extended to 2,442 metres to enable commercial jet operations.
- 1965 Arrival of the first scheduled commercial jet flight.
- 1966 An international wing is added to the domestic terminal.
Christchurch Airport (1)
Photographers Card ID: