Next to the Mill were the Blackball Wharves, showing timber waiting to be shipped out to both the North & South Islands of New Zealand. Evidentially Blackball was so named because flying above a store there was a large flag with a black ball on it. Initially the Pelorus Saw Mill Company's tramway commenced at this landing in Blackball, some 1.5km towards Canvastown from Havelock. During 1879 construction of the tramway progressed steadily with nearly 100 men employed.
Blackball Timber Mill Pelorus River Havelock
Photographer:Frederick George Radcliffe (FGR)
Photographers Card ID: