The Ashburton Domain is 37 hectares of open space, lawns, gardens and recreational facilities. It is the jewel in Ashburton's crown. The Domain is located within walking distance from the Ashburton town centre and most of the schools. A wide range of sports are played at the domain, including cricket, football, bowls, tennis, hockey and croquet all being played.
Historic Information taken from the Cyclopedia of New Zealand 1903 ; Ashburton has a domain, which was set apart at the laying out of the town, and comprises about 100 acres. The first Domain Board was appointed in 1874 by the New Zealand Government, but in 1879, the Borough Council was constituted the Domain Board. In 1880 a water-race was constructed by the Borough Council from the Wakanui mill race, and water was brought into the domain from a distance of about two miles from the intake at the Ashburton river.